Financial Sales Representatives – NOC 6235 ±
Number of People Who Work in this Industry
Median Income of People Working in this Occupation
of People Working in this Occupation
47.6% of the workforce has a secondary school diploma.
33.3% of the workforce has a College, CEGEP or non-university certificate or diploma.
Age of the Workforce
in this Occupation
This occupation is impacted by an aging workforce.
42.9% of the workforce is age 45 to 54.
23.8% of the workforce is age 55 to 64.
90% of financial sales representatives work in the Finance and Insurance sector.
The employment outlook in our region for 2017-2019 fair. Employment growth will lead to several new positions. Several positions will become available due to retirements. There are a moderate number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation. Bilingualism may be an asset.
Projected growth rate in Ontario: 2.1%-3%
What Else Do I Need to Know?
- The industry is comprised primarily of small businesses. 2% of businesses operating in Finance and Insurance businesses employ four people or less.
- The employment outlook for the Economic region of Ottawa is expected to be fair for Securities Agents, Investment Dealers and Brokers (NOC #6235) ±.
- Job openings in the financial services sector of the economy are expected to increase over the course of the forecast period. The improving Ontario economy is expected to contribute to growth in the financial services sector and create some opportunities for this occupation over this forecast period. In a low interest rate environment, investors are more active in modifying their financial portfolios, resulting in higher demand for this occupation.
- Registration with the Ontario Securities Commission is generally required for securities agents, investment fund dealers and managers and traders. Securities sales representatives and brokers require completion of the Canadian Securities course and the Registered Representative Manual Exam offered by the Canadian Securities Institute. In many cases, completion of the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation can increase opportunities for hire and advancement.
- For more information directly from local employers about this occupation, click on “Finance, Insurance, Real Estate”.